Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

How this Birthday Girl has received the Greatest Gift... {Life}

I melt into bed praying to be able to fall asleep... 

Fearful if I don't of how this mind could wander for hours. 

Slumber is this sweet release.

On the eve of this twenty-something birthday... while this kind man sleeps soundly beside her... small tears roll out of the corners and onto the pillow.

Backs of hands wet and tired of catching them. 

Sleep eludes.


I may have pictured twenty-six to be different from this. 

Perhaps I would have imagined someone more confident, secure, pretty, together.

Someone who could sleep peacefully.

So how is it, that each day I crawl into bed and I dread how this mind will recall the failures.

This emotional beating that causes tears to roll

How I failed at being a wife...

A friend...

Daughter...

Employee.

How a few small tiffs with this man caused an off weekend and he sleeps, but I'm eyes wide open... 

No longer begging for sleep.

But begging for Him.


I look in the mirror and on the morning of this birth day when all should be well... these eyes are wet and swollen. 

I hardly look like a girl celebrating her twenty-sixth

I look more broken than together.

More broken then ever.

And is it okay, on this day, to celebrate brokenness? Rather than happiness? 

And how this young woman, with all her flaws, has this tremendous need for Jesus, as I finish the race of this twenty-sixth year.

More in need than ever.



On this day, with burning eyes, this girl unwraps the word... rather than gifts.

Unpacking His love.

Rather than the temporary love things offer.

If there's anything this heart has learned as each birthday passes... is to feel enough, to feel filled up, is to receive His gifts

And how quickly I can pull the plug from the drain and watch His gifts empty if I fill this mind with worldly things.

How the mind can twist these things and say you're not enough

And oh, how I believe it.



These tears fall and dry, and I feel exhausted.

Like I'm turning eighty today.

Emotionally drained by all these messages and this inner war... pure fatigue from trying to keep up.

So could I just lay down and die to self on this day?

To not focus on how I dress this body, but how I might sacrifice it today? This year?

Endure this pruning, so that I could bear more fruit?

So that I could be complete by Him, through Him, in Him.


On this birth day, I find myself falling to my knees, crushed by the weight of the world.

Could this be where I find the greatest happiness? Like all these texts and Facebook messages say... Happy Birthday. 

Could I find it there in a low place?

These tears dry, and my spirit has emptied all it's been bearing, and I sit here empty. 

And I wouldn't want to be any other way.

Empty and anticipating how He will fill this heart today.

And perhaps I could look in the mirror, with these puffy eyes, and I could say that this is beauty





10 comments:

  1. Oh Stephanie... this post hits home. I'll be turning 26 in a couple months and... Yeah. :/
    Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for being you - so raw and open and honest. You're beautiful, and kind, and I feel privileged to know you and call you a friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So grateful that I can be authentic with you.. and you get it.. and we both grow. Awesome to have friends like that!

      Delete
  2. This is so beautiful Stephanie!

    "Empty and anticipating how He will fill this heart today." I absolutely LOVE that.

    Happy Birthday - thanks for being such a light! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you stopped in today! Great to be a light with you.. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for pouring yourself out today. Real & true! You are not alone. Much love & birthday blessings!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Jenn. Being real.. especially like this.. can be hard. But it soothed my soul today to write it down.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing yourself today.
    You are an inspiring young woman. Happy Birthday Stephanie.
    xo Aunt Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and the Dad of "this Birthday girl" feels the trickle of a tear as he absorbs what his youngest precious one expresses.
    For she writes as if she has a window to his heart too.
    How is it that the heart-speak of a twenty-something can so closely match her sixty-something father?
    We are so unschooled, even at sixty, to the "deep waters" of the heart...our hearts.
    So hand-in-hand daughter and dad draw near to receive their Father's healing embrace.
    Then dad turns to daughter and, with a wide smile and glistening eyes, whispers, "Happy Birthday Stephanie".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .. thank you, Dad, for reading and sharing. I am your daughter.. there's no question.. :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. Your input is beyond valuable to me... I look forward to reading it.

Stephanie